Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Monday, July 5, 2010

July 5, 2010: Beach bums

This morning I was looking for a marker and Stacy told me to look in her purse. Sure enough, she has two Sharpies, one blue and one fine point black. The following exchange occurred:
Me: Apparently you travel always ready to get someone's autograph.
Stacy: On my hoots.
Me: (Shakes head)
Stacy: I'm trying to teach Gavin to read.
Alas, we have not run into anyone famous or even semi-famous while in LA, unless you count the guys in super hero costumes down at the Santa Monica pier who would let you take your picture with them for money. Spiderman was especially upsetting since he had dirty gym shoes on and his costume head in his lap as he sat smoking a cigarette. Thankfully Stacy did not let him (or Batman, or an incredibly inauthentic looking Dora the Explorer) anywhere near her hoots.

Speaking of hoots, we took the babies to the beach yesterday I got a sunburn at the beach, but thankfully not on my hoots (the last time I was on the beach in California, I DID get a sunburn that included half of one of my nipples in the causalty list. This was due to an ill fitting swimsuit, not indecent exposure. Yesterday's burn is just a little along my hairline on my forehead.

The babies did not get a sunburn because we slathered them in sunblock. They also didn't eat sand or drown. Thus, beach success. Gavin really loved feeling the waves come in over his feet, although one of the waves was bigger than the others and knocked him in the face and on his butt. Stacy was holding his hands the whole time, so it isn't like we let him get dragged out into the ocean. He did get a little salt water in his eyes, but he was largely unphased.

We tried very hard to get pictures of Gavin and Brenden together -- and by "together" I mean both looking at the camera and smiling -- but no luck. We have not given up hope, however. It's really hard to get Brenden to smile for the camera. Gavin is much more fast and loose with his grins.

Traveling with a baby is exhausting. On Saturday we had two crabby babies in the car, Brenden screaming. Gavin crying. Stacy feeling carsick. Good times, good times. But yesterday not only did we do the beach, but we went to a 4th of July party at Lisa's friend's house. Gavin got to play with another baby there besides Brenden, and see some sparklers. He was up super late (past 8 p.m.!). He was a wild man. And yet he still woke up at 6 a.m. this morning. Alas.

I can't believe we have to leave tomorrow night. It feels like we just got here. I hate that Lisa and Brenden live so far away. I am against distance. This will only serve to kill me when Gavin goes to college.

1 comment:

  1. 6:00 am? I WISH he woke up at 6:00 am. YOU wake up at 6:00 am. Gavin wakes Mommy Stacy up at 5:15 and nurses for 45 minutes before he wakes his Mama D.

    ReplyDelete