Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday, Oct. 15: Sick soy sausage snacker son

On Yahoo's homepage there's a story about "What Baby Jessica Is Doing Today." Now, I honestly don't care what she's doing. I do vaguely remember the news sensation that was the baby in the well. But I never knew much about it. In fact, over the years I've always pictured the "well" in question to be of the "wishing" variety, not an 8 inch hole in the ground. In any case, Yahoo's "Where Are They Now" headline led be back to the original story and I of course can't help but imagine Gavin stuck in there and now I feel all claustrophobic and queasy and stuff. Basically Gavin is never leaving the house again, I've decided. Shit. I just remembered that a large percentage of accidents and injuries happen at home. Maybe I can just get every conceivable opening sealed shut. Opening windows and doors is overrated. Also dangerous. Isn't that what they believed in olden times? You had to keep windows shut all the time so that the child doesn't get wind or something?

Then again, it's too late for that. Gavin and Stacy are both sick. This is, of course, not surprising since Gavin swaps germs constantly with the kids in day care and Stacy teaches in elementary and jr. high schools. GermFactories.com. I thought mothers weren't supposed to get sick? Like, there was some kind of force field that made sickness virtually impossible so that she could continue to nurse babies, mop floors, and plow fields? I hope I don't get sick. I've already put in my time this fall. In fact, when I had my fall cold Gavin and Stacy didn't get sick. So let's hope they return the favor. Meaning that they don't get me sick.

Speaking of sicklies, they're both sitting next to me eating oatmeal out of a big glass bowl, each with own spoon. Gavin's getting really good at feeding himself. Though sometimes silverware can be too limiting and a dude's got to attack his grub with his hands.

"It's amazing how strong the drive for independence is." Stacy just said this. I agree. Gavin is learning so much so fast. He's a marvel.

He's got more new tricks. The first one is play-pretend eating. Imaginative play is a big step noggin-wise for babies, so this was a pretty exciting thing to witness. Yesterday he was carrying around an empty box of Morningstar Farms soy sausage patties (his mommy eats some just about every morning. Aunt Laura also likes these. I do not. I've never been a big sausage fan even when I ate meat). The box was headed for the recycling but it had a coupon inside and I hadn't gotten around to cutting it out yet and then Gavin got ahold of it. He reached his hand into the empty box and then put his hand to his mouth as if he were eating directly from the box (not recommended for most frozen food). See for yourself:


He can also climb up on the couch now. He likes to climb up and onto just about everything. Gone are the days where keeping something out of his reach was as easy as putting it on the back of the couch. No longer. This was always my trick for Kleenex. He has an ongoing love for Kleenex. It has evolved from merely shredding tissue after tissue to now wiping his nose and mouth himself, doing an especially careful job wiping the inside of his mouth. This might also be seen as "eating" the Kleenex, though less "play-pretend," more "you will find this in my diaper if you don't take it away from me."

No comments:

Post a Comment