Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday, Dec. 5, 2011: Good morning vómitos

Gavin woke up in a puddle of puke this morning. Earlier yesterday Stacy said he told her his stomach hurt and he didn't seem to be feeling all that well last night during his bath. In fact, at one point he said that he needed to poop and so we got him out of the tub and put him on the potty (he did not go in case you were wondering. Ever since he got his Rayo McQueen potty seat he has been much more enthusiastic about potty usage and we've had a good run with pee, but no poo). I was kneeling in front of him, drying his legs and feet. He looked, to me, like he was going to puke and so I told Stacy, who was standing to the side near the tub, "Trade places with me. I think he might puke." She did, though she did say something about that not being fair or nice or something. Though she also understands that I don't do puke very well. And so, this morning, when I walked into his room I heard a rather cheerful sounding Gavin and saw the outline of him on his back in his crib peeking out at me through the semidarkness. And I smelled puke. And so I said hello to Gavin and told him I needed to turn a light on and then said, "Babe, you need to get in here," because I knew what I was going to find. And sure enough. Vómitos. Stacy and I divvied up the duties. She got the pukey sheets and blankets into the wash, I got the boy into the tub. He wasn't particularly thrilled to be getting a bath in the morning. For one thing, it's totally not his routine. For another thing, he'd just had one last night. But once in the tub he was in good spirits. He seemed to feel fine, in fact, so after he was scrubbed and dubbed I got him dressed and he and Stacy headed out the door just like any Monday. I am hoping he really is all better and there is no vómitos at day care.

Of course, my biggest concern is what made him throw up in the first place since that's not normal and all (I am also concerned, judging from the contents in his crib, that he is not chewing his food enough before swallowing it). He is not a kid who pukes much. In fact, he hasn't thrown up since puke-a-palooza last year. But that was a lot of puking. And this is (hopefully) just once. Maybe it's the beginning of an annual ritual: the early/mid December vómitos. Though I hope not. But he is, after all, Stacy's son and she gets sick every year around the holidays. Like clockwork. She is usually sick for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not puke-sick, mind you, but she gets a nasty cold. So now maybe I have a family full of holiday sick-o's. Ho ho hurl.

No comments:

Post a Comment