Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday, September 25, 2011: Smoothie operator

Gavin was using the blender all day today to make smoothies. Yes, it was the real blender, no it was not plugged in. He was helping Stacy in the kitchen and saw her use the blender. I'm not sure what she was blending, but she used the "pulse" function, so when Gavin was using it he would imitate the noise by making a series of loud grunting sounds. Ungh, ugnh, ughn! Beforehand he would advise us, "Cover ears. This loud," all no-nonsense. He has a taste for the exotic flavor combinations, at least when it comes to smoothies. He made Stacy a sausage-kiwi one and later bacon-apple for Jamie. To "cook" he uses his little plush foods we got for him at Ikea. He mixes the fruits and vegetables, some of which are very much standard or at least understandable smoothie fare (carrots, apples, cucumbers), with his breakfast foods set, which is the reason for his "gourmet" flavors.

In other news, Gavin can read now. Okay, that's not exactly true, but he can and does recognize the capital letters G and D and O on his own. He's been recognizing G for awhile, it is, after all, for Gavin. But I've been pointing out that D is for Mama D. We were reading a book this morning that featured capital Ds and Gs on the cover and though I can't remember what book, he pointed out the Gs and I pointed out the Ds. Later, after his nap, while reading Go Dogs Go with Stacy, he pointed to the G and said, "G for Gavin," and then he pointed to the D and said, "D." Stacy's mind was pretty blown.

What can I say, I have a smart kid. A big kid, too. The other day at school I ran into a co-worker who has a son in Kindergarten and she said that her son weighs as much as mine (somewhere around 32 pounds). I predict he's going to be a big'un. The other day Amanda and I were in the van after coming home from my Aunt Michaelene and Cousin Umeko's house and Gavin had taken his shoes and socks off on the way home. I saw his tiny balled up sock on the ground and I told Amanda that when I find little sweatsocks around the house I think it's adorable, but it won't be long before I'm finding sweatsocks far larger than mine on the floor and instead of, "He's so cute," I'll probably be more like, "Goddammit." But for now, I'm soaking up as much as I can while he's still incapable of such transgressions.

The other day while climbing into his booster seat at the kitchen table he said, "I'm a big boy." He also uses "maybe" a lot. Like today he heard an airplane flying overhead while we were eating dinner and he said to me, "What's that sound?" and then he answered his own question saying, "Maybe airplane flying in sky." I agreed that's what it sounded like. And then he said, clearly not done with his guesses, "Maybe airplane go down." Maybe, man, but we don't want to be anywhere near here if that does happen. Granted, he doesn't mean an airplane crash, though that's what it sounds like. When we were on our plane home from Mexico, during landing Gavin kept saying, "Airplane go down" which only sounds more and more alarming when it is said over and over.

Stacy and Gavin went to the store this afternoon to buy real recipes for real smoothies. So hopefully my household will soon have smoothies made of real fruits and veggies instead of felt slabs of butter, a plush apple half and some fake sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment