Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday, Sept. 27: Bikes and trucker donuts

Nom nom nom.
Gavin and I walked up to the rail yard near our house to see the trucks and while we were there some truckers gave us donuts. Well, more specifically, a trucking company had a booth set up in the parking lot promoting the fact that they are hiring (imagine that, someone in Michigan is hiring!) and one of the guys from the booth called over to us, asking if we wanted a donut. It all looked pretty up-and-up and so I said to Gavin, "Do you want to get a donut from a trucker?" and Gavin said, "Yes." The guy came over with two full boxes of Tim Horton's donuts. He opened it and held it out to Gavin and said, "Which one do you want?" and Gavin simultaneously reached out and said, "This one" and grabbed a pumpkin spice donut and went to immediately devour it before I prompted him to say thank you. I don't think Gavin's mind even registered that there were different kinds of donuts to choose from in that box, I think he was more like, "Oh my a whole donut must act fast before I wake up from this dream." Before we knew it the man had given us both boxes of donuts and we were off to our neighbor Megan's house because she has four kids and goodness knows I don't need a dozen+ donuts in my house unless I want to weigh an additional 50 lbs. before the weekend.

Hard core biker.
In other news, Gavin can ride a bike. When we went over to drop off the donuts, Gavin wanted to ride this black and green bike that actually came from one of the other neighbor's trash and now belongs to Megan's kids. Or perhaps one of them in particular, but I'm not sure who. Looking at the bike it's not a big mystery why it was in the trash to begin with. The back tire is completely bald. The pedals provide forward momentum about 70% of the time. The rest of the time the bald back tire just sputters against the sidewalk with no traction. It is a bike that is seemingly designed (or, I suppose, damaged) to frustrate children learning to ride a bike. It has training wheels, so that's a big help. Gavin has been trying to ride this bike all summer but the whole "pedaling" thing eluded him. But no longer. He rode that bike all the way to the park and back this evening. Granted he'd need a very gentle push start when the back tire would stall, but that wasn't his fault. He actually has a little bike of his own that our neighbor Maurice gave to him. It's a nice little bike, and it looks brand new. But it doesn't have training wheels and the tires need air. I didn't even think he'd be able to ride it until after the winter so I hadn't even gotten him training wheels yet, but now it's imperative that I pimp his bike out pronto. And get him a helmet. Because I suspect he'll be quite the speed demon once he's using a bike that's not on its last legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment