Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Week 23 Day 2: "Uncle" Jamie

Uncle Jamie came over today and joined Gavin and I for a brief foray into the yard. She also brought me some of the new cupcake flavored Fruity Pebbles, which is what I ate for lunch. I have been looking for them ever since they came out and have not been able to get my hands on a box. It was an emergency that I try them. And now I have. And now I can go on. They aren't all that, any way.

Just to clarify things for everyone, "Uncle" Jamie is a girl. Well, she's probably too old to be considered a girl, but calling her a woman sounds way too 5th grade "our changing bodies" filmstrip (sorry, Jamie). We call her "Uncle Jamie" because my sister Laura signed their Christmas card to us "Aunt Laura and Uncle Jamie" as a joke and that has just kind of stuck. Since Jamie is Laura's girlfriend her relationship to Gavin isn't as immediately clear as Laura's, so calling her "Aunt Jamie" felt premature and yet Uncle Jamie works fine for us. My best friend's mother saw a photo of Gavin posing with Jamie and Laura on Facebook and was very confused by the whole Uncle Jamie thing. She even went so far as to ask my friend if Laura's girlfriend was a tranny (she didn't use those words. She was much more reserved and tasteful, but that's not my style). It had not occurred to me that anyone would come to that conclusion, but Jamie is a unisex name (kind of) and Jamie doesn't exactly dress in pink taffeta and sequins. Neither do I for that matter. Not that there would be anything wrong with that. With Jamie wearing taffeta, I mean. Or if Jamie was a trans-boi or whatever kids are calling it these days.

I neglected to mention yesterday that on our walk yesterday - you know, the one where we saw camels - Stacy and I had a pretty in depth discussion about whether or not we want to have a second baby. Her answer is unequivocally yes. Mine is a barely equivocal no. Probably this means that Stacy is a real woman and I am not since women are supposed to want babies, babies, babies. Stacy and I aren't necessarily in direct opposition, however. If I'm not 100% on board then she wouldn't want to do it. Having Gavin was a must for her. If I would have said that I didn't want any children she would have left me and found someone who did. But having a sibling for Gavin is not a deal breaker for her. So. That's where we're at. There's a possibility I could change my mind (not a huge one, but it's there). There is really no possibility that Stacy will change her mind. You know how women are. Once they get their heart set on something... To be continued for sure.

1 comment:

  1. oh, great. now laura wants me to start wearing taffeta.

    ReplyDelete