Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Week 24 Day 4: India.Babie

Today was Gavin's big fat Indian adventure. Actually it was more like going to a small Indian grocery store, sari shop, and restaurant in a Sterling Heights strip mall. But so close to actually being in India, I'm sure.

Gavin's Aunt Laura is a huge Bollywood fan (and will be quick to tell you that she has been long before Slumdog Millionaire) and so when she saw a poster for the A.R. Rahman Jai Ho Concert World Tour she sent me an email that said, "Needless to say, HOLY SHIT I WANT TO GO!!" And since the concert is on Stacy's birthday and Stacy also wants to go, we are going. I have little choice in the matter. And so today Laura, Gavin, and I headed out to the sari shop Laura had seen the poster at to buy tickets. She did not know the name of the shop, only that it was next to a grocery store she'd been to previously. The store was closed when we got there so we looked around in the Indian grocery store where Laura bought a bootleg DVD of some Bollywood movie I have, of course, never heard of and where I thrust random grocery items into Gavin's hand for a photo op. Thankfully Laura had her camera phone since I neglected to bring mine. Then we had lunch first at the smallest Indian restaurant I have ever been in. Laura and I split the lunch special, Gavin ate green beans and peach oatmeal baby food that I brought along. He also ate bits of naan we tore off for him as well as his O's, organic Cheerio-like cereal. He was a very, very good boy and was quite popular among the waitress and the other three or four people in there having lunch, too. He got and gave lots of smiles. He did, however, leave a lot of O's and naan shrapnel on the floor under his highchair. It's too bad we didn't take Henri with us.

After lunch we headed back to the clothing shop which was, indeed, now open. The man behind the counter was very nice and quite enthusiastic about his shop. Both he and Laura wanted me to buy Gavin a little traditional Indian suit. I declined, although Laura has already dictated that when Gavin needs a suit I should either get him that or go to one of the shops near her in Hamtramck and get him a brightly colored suit that usually only black boys wear. It's a shame, really, that so many white folks dress their sons in such drab formal wear. I mean, what better age to pull off an electric purple suit? No navy blue for {ITAL my} son, that's for sure.

The shop owner thought Gavin was very cute and asked us if we'd seen the video online of the little baby doing a Latin dance on a kitchen table. We hadn't and he urged us to look it up when we got home. He was very excited about it. And so I looked it up and, sure enough, it's all over the place online. The baby is quite a good dancer, though, in my opinion, far too young to be standing on a kitchen table. That's just not safe.

On the way home Laura insisted that we stop at Doc Sweets' Candy Co. in Clawson even though I told her that Gavin needed to get home for his nap. But noooooooo. She had to have her candy. Gavin was a trooper and Laura got her Zagnut bars, but once Gavin and I got home there was trouble. He nodded off in the car which is often not a big deal, today, however, he apparently decided that his 10 minute snooze en route was plenty of rest and certainly a fine substitution for us usual 2 hour-ish afternoon nap. I put him to bed at 2:30 and he cried for an hour. Not full-throat "my life is hell" screaming. Not for the full hour anyway. But there were unhappy sounds of varying intensity until he got quiet a little after 3:30. Stacy got home at 4 and he woke soon after that. Not the kind of rest a baby needs around here.

Suffice to say, he was pretty cranky in the late afternoon and when Stacy tried to put him to bed early he lost his mind. I voted for reprieve since he was acting tired, but not sleepy, which only resulted in him channeling his energies into screaming and fighting sleep rather than drifting off. He came out in the living room and played for awhile, pushing his walker around and then pushing this green canvas box we have in the living room for his toys around the floor. It was only after he seemed to be ramping up to manic that we decided to slow things down and Stacy put him back to bed. After an hour of crying he finally slept.

Tomorrow's my last day of stay-at-home-momhood. We're going out with a bang. It's going to be AMAZING but I don't want to spoil it (a.k.a. I have no idea what we're going to do).

2 comments: