Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Week 21 Day 5: Secret monkey mail

I got mail today addressed to Gavin's Mom. It was from an in-state address but one I was not familiar with. The back of the envelope said, "Love ya!" I didn't know which one of Gavin's moms it was meant for, but since I was the only one home at the time I decided I got to open it. Inside was a monkey-face bookmark, so it was obviously for me. Who it was from, however, I did not know. I Googled the address and Nancy Drew style (because of how Nancy Drew was always using Google) and came up with an out patient drug and alcohol treatment center. Knowing my friend Matthew works at such a place, I put two and two together. I am a super sleuth. I love to get mail so it was a nice addition to the day. Thanks, Matthew! :)

Stacy came home at noon today so I was only flying solo for part of the day. Gavin was very happy to see her and her breasts.

Gavin's Aunt Christine also came in today from Los Angeles where she is the Performing Arts Director for Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA). She is all about kids and music and I know it kills her inside that she lives so far away from Gavin and cannot groom him to be a professional musician every day of his infant life. This actually kills us a little inside, too. But she is helping kids discover music and how to make it and stuff and we are very proud of her.

Our big outting today was once again to the hospital to see Grandpa. He's doing much better. He was actually sitting up in a wheelchair and my mom was reading cards to him that people had sent to the hospital. He can't talk and his movement is limited, but my mom said he did well with the speech therapist today. Of course, I have no idea what constitutes "well" here, but it is good news and I will take it.

When we got to Grandpa's floor Christine was waiting for us in the waiting room and was super excited to see Gavin. I don't think he recognized her but he was very happy to be fawned over. It's something he's used to considering his high fawnability quotient.

After saying hello to Grandpa, Christine and I took Gavin down to the hospital patient garden, which is an indoor courtyard furnished with 100% fake flowers, grass, trees, and bushes. It was pretty hot in there since it's got a glass ceiling and it was a very sunny day. The heat really brought out the plastic smell. It's pretty much an anti-environment environment. But Gavin is a go-go-go kind of guy and we needed to let him blow off some of his NRG somewhere, and so we let him crawl around for a bit. He mostly wanted to play with his stroller. After a while my mom came down and met us there and we all just kind of watched Gavin cavort. He is a great stress reliever. Pretty much everything he does is cute. I love watching his little butt when he crawls. Adorable (and he doesn't even need ridiculous diapers).

Despite his cuteness, Gavin was super cranky after his afternoon nap today. I'm not sure why since he seemed to have slept well and for a good length of time. My best guess is teething since he is still working on teeth 5 & 6 (5 is already half way there while 6 hasn't cut through the gums yet). Of course, it might not be teething. He could just have some pre-toddler angst. But for now I will blame unexplained crankiness on teething. I realize that once he's, like, 18 I won't be able to use this excuse any more, so I want to get as much mileage out of it as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment