Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011: Peace out, Grandma Helen

My Grandma Helen passed away today. Although she was not in great health, it was unexpected.

I've got this great photo of her and Gavin from Christmas 2009. They both look a little smug.

He went to visit her for Christmas 2010, too, but no photos were taken. This is due, in large part, to the fact that I had a ragin' cold at the time and did not make the trip. Stacy and Gavin went, though. Alas, on many levels.

I'm really glad that Grandma got to meet Gavin and that she didn't freak out about the fact that he has two mommies. Not all grandparents are capable of that, it seems. Then again, both of Stacy's grandmas, Ina in her 90s and Mary at 100, love Gavin, too. Sadly my Grandma Bea passed away before Gavin was born, though I have no doubt she would have loved him, too.

One day I'll show this photo to Gavin and tell him some Grandma Helen stories. She was, to say the least, a character. Very funny and very sweet and one of the most generous people I've known.

Gavin will be 19 months old tomorrow, by the way. So, you know, celebrate or something by doing something nice for your grandma.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, Grandma Bea would have loved him too, as did Grandpa Chuck who was quite taken with him.

    Grandma Helen, while a bit quirky, had a good heart. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She passed along a sense of adventure and a spirit of comedy along with a requirement of social justice for those less fortunate. I remember her feeding others when we barely had anything ourselves. She is my hero.
    Grandpa Mike (her proud son)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. It's an adorable picture. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mama D. For the great memory and tribute to our loving grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost my best friend yesterday...I don't understand now why, as time goes on, I hope to understand soon what God's plan is for me. Mornings won't be the same without my coffee buddy. Half cup, black, no cream. From, your loving daughter, Michaelene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing this, D'Anne. I can't wait to share Grandma Helen stories with my sobrino...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This past year at Christmas, I told Gavin to "go give grandma a hug" and he very clumsily ducked under her walker and gave her a hug and a kiss. It was very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda is putting together a display for the funeral home Tuesday - I will bring a bunch of drawings and letters with me. You might want to bring some pix to share.
    Grandpa Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stumbled across this blog on Brian's facebook just now and read the post and comments about Grandma which brought me to tears. We all miss you very much, and remember all the amazing things you did for us. You have a family that keeps you in their prayers and loves you with all their hearts. Dad (Anthony), Mom (Maria), brother (Edgar) and I (Edsel) will visit you as much as we can. We love you Grandma. Please be happy!

    Your loving Grandson,
    Edsel

    ReplyDelete