Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2011: Scram, Mr. Sicko

Gavin got sent home from daycare today. No, he wasn't "very hurtful to another child" again. He was sent home for being Mr. Sickly. No, he wasn't puking everywhere again. Thank god. But he has had a runny nose for awhile and today at daycare he woke himself up from his nap with a bunch of coughing. This was after only 50 minutes of rest, so even if he'd felt fine he still wouldn't have been at the top of his game. Shelly said he was really clingy and "not himself" so even though he didn't have a fever, she called Stacy to come get him. So they were home 30 minutes early today. When I heard the van pull in the driveway and saw that it was only 3:30 my first thought was, "Oh no, Stacy must have forgotten that it's a daycare day and she needs to pick Gavin up." Stacy is many things, but early is rarely one of them, so I was concerned.

Thankfully Gavin seemed to be feeling fine when they came through the door, save his mucus encrusted nose. He was super pissed, however, that I scooped him up immediately and wouldn't let him walk on the floor. Unfortunately, Emma had an accident while I was downstairs putting in a load of laundry. When I came home there was poo everywhere. In the living room on the rug, in footprints across the living room floor into the kitchen, and then a sad trail or more poo leading to the back door. Poor girl. In any case, I didn't think this was the best environment to let Gavin run loose in. So that made him cranky. Stacy tried explaining the situation to him in Spanish (I understood the words "house" and "yard" but little else. Thankfully I could infer what the conversation was about. I told Stacy that she should show Gavin the mess on the carpet (while holding him, of course. Toddlers have little impulse control, even when it comes to things that are clearly gross and clearly do-not-touch-OMG-that's-disgusting). His eyes got really wide and he looked both shocked and then very concerned for his old friend Emma. I should mention that Emma was wearing a diaper when I came home and sleeping on her bed (did I mention she wears diapers now? This is a source of much interest for Gavin). And yet while surveying the damage I saw her diaper, clean as can be, on the floor. She's, like, the Houdini of poo. I guess that would make her Pooudini. And that would make me ashamed for even writing such a thing. Alas. It's too late. No way to take it back.

Stacy and Gavin have a snow day tomorrow. There's supposed to be, like, a zillion inches of snow by tomorrow and all through tomorrow. So far UofM has canceled classes on their Flint and Dearborn campuses, but Ann Arbor is still a go. So while Stacy and Gavin are having the time of their lives roasting vegan marshmallows and roller skating and petting unicorns (because that's what people do on snow days), I will be heading out into the snopocalypse, as some clever people have termed it and driving all the way to Ann Arbor. I will then sleep in my car so I don't have to drive home just to turn around and do it all again on Thursday.

Speaking of snow, Gavin is fascinated by the stuff but doesn't like to play in it. We took him outside to play in the snow the other day and he enjoyed brushing snow off of my car, but actually trudging through the snow in his boots and snow pants, not so much. He doesn't like all of the falling. There's a lot of falling right now if you're Gavin in the snow. I can't blame him. Falling isn't fun. He also hates mittens. Keeping them on him is a struggle. I even bought these special mittens that are supposed to stay on and keep the snow out from that space near the wrist between where the mitten ends and where the sleeve begins. Isn't that the worst? I remember that happening and hating it when I was a kid, so when I saw these gloves I thought, "Yes. Stay on gloves so I no longer look like a totally negligent parent to my mittenless-in-the-freezing-cold child. The only problem is, the SnowStopper mittens (besides using Comic Sans on their website and in their logo) are really difficult to get on. Great concept, but the execution is a little tough when you're dealing with a toddler who is often not cooperative. In any case, hopefully we're not negatively conditioning him so that when he's older he refuses to leave the house when it snows and just sits on the couch playing skiing and snowboarding video games. Unless he can somehow make money at it like some people do with online poker. Then I'm all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment