Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wednesday Sept. 22, 2010: Turn the other cheek

It's been almost a week since my last blog post. I'm obviously a terrible mother (because that's how it's measured. I'm pretty sure that's in the latest edition of Dr. Spock or whatever). Life is, as my little sister Christine would say, "crazy busy." Being back to work full time is kicking my ass. And taking so much time away from Gavin. I've gone from seeing him every single day and spending the majority of my time with him to having only Tuesdays and Thursdays as full time Mama D Care days. There's a big difference between five days a week and only two. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I see him only in the morning as I get him ready for day care. By the time I get home from work he's asleep. I shouldn't complain, because two full days a week is still more than Stacy gets since she works five days a week like a mere mortal. One more reason why I'm glad I teach college kids and not elementary school ones. Well, that and the fact that I've yet to have a kid accidentally call me "Mom" or pee his pants while sitting at his desk. I did have a kid ask me if he could go to the bathroom to blow his nose, but at least doesn't need my help. Perks. I have 'em.

Gavin is 14 months old as of Monday. As a sign of his maturity, they now have him napping on a cot at daycare instead of a crib. He apparently has no problem with this, though that is surprising to me. Not surprising in that I can't believe he's capable of such a thing. Just that it's not something he's ever done. Nothing I've seen him do, certainly. And it's unbaby-like. It's the kind of thing a toddler does. Because he's a toddler. And that still kind of blows my mind.

I hate missing the things he does at day care. Like, I want to see him sleeping on the cot. I wonder if I could get them to videotape it for me. I'm kind of jealous that the day care ladies get to see him sleeping and I don't. Like, right now, I would love to go take a peek at him in his crib but I'm afraid that I will wake him up. In fact, past attempts at night-peeking have ended in that exact way. But at daycare he just sacks out in a crowded room. Like an animal in the wild. Or something. Today he did sand art. In fact, he's done several art pieces that I have no doubt Sotheby's would be interested in. But I'm keeping them. Money isn't everything. I have three of his originals hanging in my office at school. Two done in crayon and one done with stamps. A turtle stamp, I believe (there's lots of stamp overlap and smearing. It's very intense).

According to Stacy, Gavin has started initiating peek-a-boo. He understands that he can hide from her. I have sadly yet to see this. But I am comfortable enough in my relationship with my wife to believe she isn't lying to me. But until I see it with my own eyes it is but a dream of seemingly unbearable cuteness. I will probably implode when it finally happens to me. Cuteness overload.

Speaking of cuteness overload, this is pretty much the opposite of that: "Similac Formula May Contain Bug Parts". As Laura, who emailed the article to me, wrote, "Blech." "The company said [up to 5 million Similac-brand powder formulas] may contain a small beetle or larvae, which could cause stomach ache and digestion problems." I am sure glad that my son is a boob man. He's never had formula. Wait, I take that back. I did once give him a little pre-made formula that we got at the hospital, although I can't remember why. Stacy and her hoots were not home. That's all I remember. I don't even know if he actually drank any. I guess I blocked it out. Because of the bug parts. Just kidding. That was pre-small beetle or larvae in the mix. I hope.

There is some good news today. A court in Florida declared that state's ban on gay people adopting unconstitutional. It's really a no-brainer, but the state has been fighting for years to keep the ban. Never mind that they let gay people be foster parents. And never mind that there isn't any other group who is outright banned from adopting, including convicted felons. "Murderer? Sure, no problem. Homo? Um, no. That makes God cry." No doubt the decision will be appealed by the state and wind up at the Florida Supreme Court. Hopefully their court isn't stacked with right-wing assholes like Michigan's.

Laura just told me that Stacy almost gave her a kiss goodbye today. Stacy had to go back to work for open house tonight and had to leave before Gavin went to bed. So Gavin's Aunt Laura (with an important assist from Aunt Amanda after Gavin started screaming) put him to bed. When she left she leaned in and gave Gavin, who was in Laura's arms, a kiss and then turned her head to kiss Laura before she caught herself and said, "Oops, you're not my wife." Looks like Stacy and I are going to need to have a serious talk tomorrow. I'm kidding, obviously. Although Laura is no longer welcome in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment