Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saturday, July 9, 2011: Pretty little girl

Well, it's happened three times now. Three different people have mistaken Gavin for a girl. This is probably our signal that it's time for a haircut. But I'm not willing to let go of his curly goldilocks yet. The most recent gender confusion happened the day before yesterday at the airport when the TSA agent asked, "Do you have a boarding pass for her?" Without even thinking I said, "Him." It was totally reflexive. It's not like it really mattered, but I was lightning fast in my correction. The other two "little girl" mix-ups happened when Gavin was with Stacy.Maybe some parents would be rushing out to their nearest Super Cuts to get their son a manly buzz cut or something, but not us. For one thing, any place that charges less than $10 for a
haircut can't be trusted with cutting your hair (Gavin will be having his first haircut at The Chop Shop, thank you very much.Here's a picture of him in the barber's chair there on a recent visit to watch his Aunt Laura get her hair cut). We're pretty much in love with his curls, so it's going to be hard when we finally have to let go. And it's not like we're gender fascists or something. I mean, I did, after all, buy him pink gardening gloves with the Disney princess logo on the back. And he does have pink broom and mop toys that he loves. It's true, I don't dress him in girlie clothes. I personally think that little girl clothes are often lame and ugly. Let's face it, if I had a girl instead of a boy, she'd be dressed in gender neutral clothes most of the time. Like Rosemary's daughter, Ella, who wore a lot of hand me downs from her cousin Will when she was a toddler.

As I mentioned, we were at the airport the other day. We're currently in Florida. Stacy and Gavin are at Granny Marilyn and Grandpa Paul's house. I'm at Amanda Carver's house, a couple of hours away. It's sad to be away from Gavin, but also nice. For the next couple of days I won't have to lift a 30+ Lb. toddler and hurt my back. But I also know he is having fun without me. Stacy better be taking a lot of pictures.

All week Gavin would talk about how he's going "on airplane" to "Paul's house." He really digs Paul. Gavin is majorly into dudes right now. Another thing that clashes with the Baby X story from my Women's Studies class in college.

Gavin was so good on the plane. He probably did bump the chair in front of him too often (in that chair was a man in a yellow shirt, and I explained to Gavin that the man was trying to sleep so we couldn't take the tray table down and put it up over and over and over again because that bumped his chair). Gavin rode on our laps because he's not quite 2. He wanted to sit next to us, not on our laps, though, which tells me he'll like having his own seat when we go to Cancun in August. Or at least I hope he will. That's a much longer flight than from Detroit to Orlando. But he's flown to California before, and that we a long flight, too. But he was a lot younger then. Just learning to walk. I can't believe how big he is now. Like a real boy. More than "like" a real boy. He is a little boy now. I still refer to him as a baby every now and then out of habit and because he is still my baby. He is not at the stage where that causes him mortifying indignation. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment