Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday, July 10, 2011: Reunited and it feels so good

Well, Gavin's still incredible. This isn't a surprise, but after being away from him for a couple of days coming back to him heightens that fact. When Amanda brought me back to my mother in law's house Gavin had just finished getting his diaper changed. When he saw me he said, "Dirt." And then when he saw Amanda he said, "Man." And then he ran around like a giggling maniac with Stacy chasing him. And then I picked him up and twirled him around and Stacy and Amanda chided me because of my back. Which is feeling pretty good today. Not having to pick up a 30+ Lb. kid for a couple of days did me good, I think.

Gavin told me that he and Paul fixed his horse (it needed batteries). He fed carrots to real horses. He went to a couple of parks. He got to ride in the golf car. His dance card was very full. After Amanda left I got in the pool with him. Marilyn and Stacy, too. Paul just dipped his feet in despite Gavin's requests for him to make a "big plash." Stacy, on the other hand, was game. Gavin and I counted to three in Spanish and Stacy did a canon ball into the pool. I wish I had photo of Gavin's face. His mouth was agape and his eyes wide. He couldn't have had a more perfect expression if he were a cartoon character. Stacy totally blew his mind. He knew that Paul could make big splashes. But his mommy could, too? Holy shit. Mind. Blown.

While at Amanda's I watched a lot of crime TV. Murder shows, we call them. I watched a couple of episodes of FBI Criminal Pursuit on ID Discovery. Both episodes featured a child as the victim. In one of them a 2-year-old's body is found in a plastic tub and it turns out the little girl's mother and step-father beat her to death over the period of an entire day. They even stopped to give her baby aspirin at one point. I still feel sick about that story. It made me want to get back to Gavin so I could hug him and kiss him. Which maybe sounds corny, but is the truth. What the fuck is wrong with people? Sometimes it's hard to have much faith in humanity at all.

But then there's Gavin. I have faith in at least 30 lbs. of humanity going for me. Being away from him was good for me -- for my back and for my sanity. I got to do things like read a book and sleep in. Amanda Carver is good for me, no doubt. But I hate missing things in his life. I wish I could have seen him feed a carrot to the horse. But Stacy told me she took plenty of photos and videos. Someday I'll upload them. I'm about a month behind in Gavin photos. It takes a lot of time and energy to chronicle the life of the most adorable little boy in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment