Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Week 3 Day 5: Sicko

Last night between, oh, 3 and 4:30 in the morning I was holed up in the bathroom expelling my guts. I don't know why -- food poisoning, maybe. I am happy to say that I did not wake up Gavin whilst vomiting. I can not say the same thing for my dad when I was growing up. He was a very dramatic puker. There was never any doubt what was going on. Well, by the second time at least. The first time I was pretty sure my dad was dying and/or drowning/trying to holler with his mouth full of liquid. Personally, I have never found it necessary or even desirable to use my vocal chords while I vomit. My dad, on the other hand, apparently did. I wish this was not one of my childhood memories.

In any case, when 6 a.m. rolled around I really, really didn't want to get out of bed. Stacy brought Gavin into our room and put him in bed with me while she went to use the bathroom. He smiled at me and was super sweet. But I felt wiped out and my guts were still (are still?) unsure about whether or not they want to continue on with life. Stacy offered to call in sick, but I don't want her using her sick days just because I'm sick. Plus she works relatively close by, so she was only ever a half hour away.

Thankfully I didn't need to call her and I only had to drag Gavin into the bathroom with me once for a "Mama doesn't feel good sit in your Bumbo chair and play with toys and do not let this moment implant on your brain please God" moment. But I would be lying if I said I was a very enthusiastic or charismatic mama today. The time in between Gavin's naps felt interminable. All I wanted to do was sleep and I couldn't. When he was asleep I took that time to eat oyster crackers and saltines. Considering my body decided to rid itself of the contents of my stomach, I felt like I was starving when I woke up. But, surprise surprise, food didn't exactly seem appetizing. And crackers never actually quelled my growling belly. And so sleep I did not.

But the point is, we made it. Three weeks. We had some very nice family time once Stacy got home. We all piled on the bed and Gavin climbed over us and Stacy hoisted him in the air and stuff. Things I usually do when I'm not out of commission. He's so happy to see her when she gets home and she's so happy to see him. They just beam at each other. One of my favorite things is listening to Stacy talk to Gavin after he finishes nursing in the morning or in the evening. She talks very softly and sometimes he even coos softly back. I am usually in the living room and can rarely hear what they're saying, but I understand the conversation all the same. It's pretty awesome.

Stacy and I were supposed to go on a date tonight. My mom was all lined up to watch Gavin. Alas. Some other time. It's been too long. Not like we were ever real party animals or anything, but it'd be nice to spend some time together where Gavin wasn't trying to slobber all over our faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment