Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Week 4 Day 1: It'll all come out in the wash

There was no big accomplishment to speak of today. I was a bit cranky, Gavin was a bit cranky. The day went by very quickly, but also at an agonizingly slow pace. If that makes sense. And even if it doesn't. I'm standing by what I said. Time felt very other-dimension today. Gavin's schedule is changing - in part dictated by him and in part by us. He's growing every day and the bigger he gets the more we have to work to keep up. What worked for 5 month old Gavin doesn't necessarily work for 6 month old Gavin.

Sleeping and eating are what I'm talking about here. His naps are getting longer which throws off his 2 hours on, 45 minutes off schedule. He slept for well over an hour for his first two naps today and then his third was a paltry 30 minutes. Stacy says he's phasing the third one out. We're also trying to feed him every 3 hours instead of every 4 with the end goal being phasing out one of his night feedings and then both. Parenting is all about phasing out. There really is no stasis.

My goal was to get out of the house and go to the library today, but that didn't happen until after Stacy got home. Then we went as a family. But Gavin and I stayed put today. Though I did get dressed and I did take a shower. I made an effort. I also did some laundry. But I have little else to show for my day besides a living baby. And lots of baby laundry. He went through five outfits today. He peed though whatever he was wearing last night and what Stacy changed him into he peed through during his first nap. Then he got oatmeal on his next outfit. And then he puked on the one after that. When Stacy got home he got more oatmeal and another filthified outfit.

The highlight of the day today was when Stacy put peanut butter on Gavin's bare feet so that Henri would lick them. This is not something I would have ever condoned but I was not consulted. Even just writing it I am kind of grossed out. And yet, it was pretty adorable in execution. And if seeing Gavin as a source of peanuty goodness helps Henri be cool with him, so be it.

Tomorrow's goal: less crabbiness for all. I am chalking today's lack of patience up to PMS, though I don't know if that's accurate. I'm just really fucking tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment