Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Week 10 Day 1: Spring-like

Week ten? What? Could it really be? Yes. Yes it can.

Today was a beautiful day. Spring-like, even. Amanda held Gavin on the deck while I played fetch with Henri and while Jasper slunk around the yard. Definitely looking forward to warmer weather so that this going outside thing can be a very regular occurrence. Amanda said she thinks I've been kind of cooped up here in the house during the winter and once the weather gets warmer I'll have the whole backyard to take Gavin into. "It doubles your space," she said. She's right, though my house and my yard are really small to start with.

Yesterday Gavin had his first bagel, a teething bagel from New York Bagel in Ferndale. He was not super excited about it. He did a little bit of gnashing his teeth against it, but quickly gave up. Today I gave it back to him and let him have another shot at it. Still not super excited to say the least, but it was distracting enough to him that I had to take it away while I tried to feed him the rest of his meal. Unfortunately I put it where Henri could reach it and Henri and Jasper discovered it at the exact same time causing Henri to lunge for the bagel and Jasper to try to lunge out Henri's way only to knock the bagel into Henri's water bowl. End result: nobody got the bagel. So that experiment failed.

Amanda and I took Gavin to the community center again to the playroom. Last time we went the place was crawling with kids, but today it was completely empty besides the three of us. Gavin had the whole place to himself. But since he has limited mobility he couldn't take full advantage of it. I bounced a playground ball over to him and dribbled it around a bit. He was fascinated. I rolled it over to him and he ran his fingernails over the rubber and rolled it away and tried to get it back. I can't believe I don't have anything like that for him at home. A baby needs a ball. So that's on our shopping list now I don't know why no one was there. I worried that it was closed for some reason and that a center employee was going to come along and kick us out. But no one did. And we were only there for a half hour or so before Gavin started getting cranky. We knew we wouldn't be able to spend lots of time there because Gavin's nap schedule was all out of whack today, but Amanda insisted we go anyway. She was totally right. We needed to get out of the house. Thank God for Amanda. I can't believe she leaves tomorrow. She will be missed. Maybe I need to put a request for a daytime co-mom on Craig's List.

Speaking of thank God for Amanda, I can't really even describe how happy I was to have her here today. I had terrible cramps all day long, my uterus being punished for not having had Gavin inside of it. Gavin doesn't really understand the whole, "Mommy feels like she's being repeatedly kicked in the lady parts by a giant cement boot so why don't you just sit in your play pen and entertain yourself for, oh, the next 8 hours or so." Amanda, ibuprofen, and a half a Vicodin I took at dinner were definitely today's holy trinity. Praise be.

No comments:

Post a Comment