Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Week 12 Day 3: Crab attack

Stacy is sick. She even came home from work early today. Scheduled a doctor's appointment and everything. She has a hell of a cough. I'm hoping she can kick it quickly, but usually when she gets the coughs it stays around a long time. I remember once when she coughed like a smoker for almost a month. I told everybody she had TB.

And if a sick wife isn't bad enough, Gavin might also be getting sick. He was hella crabby today. Very demanding. Very "don't you dare try to put me down." Even though Stacy is sick, I couldn't wait for her to come home. Sometimes it really does get to a point where you're all, "Just shove a boob in his mouth, I'm going to the bar." Okay, the first part is accurate, the second part not so much. I'm not a bar person. If I need to escape I go to the store. Maybe the drug store (I've been told I go there "more than anyone I know"), maybe Target. I don't know. I live on the edge.

Having Stacy home was nice despite her being tubercular and all. Not only did I have backup with Mr. Crab, but we were even able to mend Gavin's play pen. See, Jasper and Gavin have a new game they've been playing. In fact, they were playing it yesterday morning, which is probably when the damage occurred. From the inside of Baby Fun Jail, Gavin likes to scratch his finger nails against the mesh sides. Interesting texture, interesting sounds. Gavin's scratching got Jasper's attention (perhaps he was surprised that other creatures besides cats are into scratching). So with Gavin on the inside scratching away, Jasper is on the outside trying to "catch" Gavin's hand through the mesh. Claws out, the whole deal. Gavin thinks this is hilarious. Either Jasper didn't ever "get" him or Jasper was playing extra nice, though claws were certainly in play as last night Stacy discovered holes in the mesh. There are three of them, two are large (and by large I mean about the side of my finger tip) and one is small. But of course the next day Gavin found them immediately and pried at them with his fingers. A mending was in order and my idea was to use iron-on patches, one on each side of the mesh so that ironing them caused them to stick together. But Stacy pointed out that it would be difficult to keep the patches in place since they weren't going to stay suspended in the air on a vertical surface. So we had to sew them on. I used two square patches that I bought awhile ago to sew on kids' clothing. The one on the inside of his pen says "I am shellfish" with a picture of a crab, and the one on the outside says "says, "cruisin'" with a girl on a scooter. With Stacy sitting inside Baby Fun Jail and me on the outside, we sewed these little patches together thwarting our son's prying fingers. While we were sewing I asked Stacy, "Do you know why we're doing this?" and she answered, "Because we love a Bear," which is exactly what I was thinking.

Do to Stacy's illness and Gavin's crabbiness, there was no big outting today. Alas.

On the mother-law-front, Marilyn is in Michigan but is currently with her friend whose husband passed away a short time ago. Stacy says her mom will get here on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment