Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Week 11 Day 3: Green Wednesday

Today was Green Wednesday for me and Gavin, otherwise known as St. Patrick's Day. We're not Irish (though my sister Amanda just posted on my Facebook page that we are, but I don't know what she's talking about. Maybe she's drunk and so is feeling a sort of solidarity with the Irish people, kind of like how everyone in the world was a New Yorker on 9-11) and we don't drink, so St. Patrick's Day isn't a very big deal around here. However, when I was in elementary school I learned that if you didn't wear green on St. Patrick's Day then that was basically giving anyone and everyone a free pass to pinch you. I did not understand it then, I do not understand it now. But I do always try to wear green on St. Patrick's Day because, just like when I was in elementary school, I do not like to have my personal space invaded, especially not to be pinched. So really my observance of St. Patrick's Day is all about annoying superstition. Still, Gavin looked very cute with his green t-shirt and green socks on. In fact, when we went to Target for today's Big Outing, a woman in the parking lot called Gavin a Green Bean. To which I responded, "Just want to make sure no one pinches him," letting her know the lengths I will go to in order to protect my son.

I really like taking Gavin shopping. He's too young to demand that I buy him things and then throw fits when I don't, so that's a plus. He's actually really serene at the store. I push him around in the cart (covered by the cart seat thing Lisa bought for me via eBay, which I have finally figured out how to use) and he just chills, some times gazing up at me very seriously. Today I was leaning toward him making soft motorboat kind of sounds which he loved. He smiled and smiled and we just walked around like that all moon-eyed at one another. He's dreamy. I didn't buy him anything on this trip, though I did let him hold the Vampire Weekend CD I bought for myself, which pleased him as much as if I'd let him hold some toy.

When Stacy came home we all went for a walk since it was a beautiful day. I'm really glad that Gavin is becoming mobile at the same time that the weather is getting nicer.

This weekend my friend Krystal was supposed to come visit with her husband and kids. Sadly she called this morning and said they had to cancel the trip since Nate got called away to a business meeting in North Carolina instead. I was really looking forward to seeing them, too, especially since Krystal has yet to meet Gavin and I have yet to meet her new baby girl. Hopefully they'll be able to reschedule, maybe for late April. That would mean visitors all month long since Marilyn, Stacy's mom, is coming from the 2-9 (the 9th is my birthday, by the way, but I don't think she scheduled her visit to coincide with that since she doesn't usually remember my birthday). And then Lisa is coming the 17 through forever (okay, I wish. It's actually the 24th). I am so excited to meet her son, who is 6 weeks older than Gavin. And, of course, for her to meet my Gavin. The plan is that once Stacy's summer break starts we will go out to California to see her, Gavin in tow. I see lots of beach photos in Gavin's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment