Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Week 9 Day 2: Dessert for diner

I have the song "Ticket to Ride" stuck in my head. And I am very, very tired. But Amanda is here so it's all good. It feels like she never left. Gavin digs her, too.

Still a good amount of grumpiness from Mr. Bear today, but I am not so sure that he's getting sick, as was my worry yesterday. Maybe it's the teething. But I don't see any evidence of new teeth besides the four currently residing in his gums.

His afternoon nap was terrible. I put him to bed at about 1:10 and he talked and talked and did some low voltage hollering. Not crying, mind you, so I saw no reason or point in intervening. I can't force the kid to shut his eyes and going in there would have guaranteed tears as soon as I left. A little after 2 I did try to resoothe him because by then he's started crying. There were some short bursts of quiet so I reckon he did get some sleep, but not much. He is a lot like his Mommy Stacy when he doesn't get sleep. Grouchy and unhappy. When I finally released him from his nap time purgatory he seemed relieved, albeit a touch manic.

He ate well all day until his last feeding. I tried to feed him oatmeal and he cried. Now, I don't know if you've ever cried with a mouth full of oatmeal -- and by crying I mean the kind of crying that involves open mouthed vocalization -- but it is not a good idea. It is, at best, messy. It is pathetically, pathetically sad when a baby does it. Specifically my baby. I also fed him peas -- knowing, of course, his feelings on this matter. More tears. So after a spoonful or two of these rejected items, I busted out the applesauce. This he ate. Not as robustly as usual, and not without some fussing. But he was at least eating something. Stacy was due home in a half hour and I knew she'd want to nurse him as soon as she got in the door (big surprise: after she nursed him she said, "He was really hungry"). I figured my best bet was to keep him happy and occupied during this time. So after his applesauce I gave him a teething biscuit to eat out of his baby safe feeder. So, essentially, I gave my son dessert for diner. #1 Mom in the U.S.A.

Stacy just came home from parent teacher conferences and she brought me the best present ever. She found it at Meijer. If I ever need to be reminded why I love this woman, I now have ten more reasons. I can't wait to start doing puppet shows for Gavin.

No comments:

Post a Comment