Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Week 9 Day 5: More holding

Amanda came back from Ann Arbor around noon and her timing was perfect since Gavin was a very unhappy Bear and Amanda brightens him right up. He's very fond of her. He was upset because I was changing his clothes, which is something he finds very unjust these days. He's so, so squirmy on the changing table now. Very uncooperative to say the least. Changing diapers and clothes takes at least twice as long as it did a month ago.

With Amanda back our little stay-at-home contingent was whole again. So we took Gavin on a trip to Target. And the only thing he got was a box of overnight diapers. Because we know how to show a guy a good time. While we were at Target a little girl in a passing cart said to her mother, "That baby is cute!" Only 8 months old and already girls are hitting on my son.

Gavin slept in this morning until 7:15 which was quite wonderful. Tomorrow, Saturday, he will no doubt not sleep in because he doesn't know about weekends. He woke up grumpy from his afternoon nap for some reason even though he'd slept an hour and a half. Two hours would be ideal, but his nap was still pretty good. I tried feeding him and he cried the instant I put him in his high chair. "He needs more holding," I told Amanda. Sometimes he just wants to be held. Can't say I blame him. Later when I returned him to his highchair he didn't complain much and I fed him some applesauce. Stacy was going to be home soon and I figured she'd want to nurse him so I didn't want to give him the full course meal treatment which usually goes like this: First course: oatmeal or rice cereal with breast milk. Second course: Vegetable (carrots or green beans, perhaps). Third course: Fruit (applesauce, prunes, pears, banana, etc.). Occasionally we finish with a piece of teething biscuit in his banana hammock (a.k.a. his Baby Safe Feeder). Gavin has very little patience in between courses, but he also displays a general crabbiness brought on by cold food. So while I am at the microwave heating up his carrots, for instance, I make faces at him or sing to him to try to distract him. This usually works for ten seconds or so.

Amanda and I went out tonight to dinner and a movie, though not in that order. We saw A Single Man (just okay) and ate at Red Robin (also okay). I think that tonight was the first time I've been in a restaurant at night in a long time. Eight months at least. Stacy was sad she wasn't going out, but she wasn't mad or anything. She was also asleep by the time we came home.

Amanda and I just had the following exchange, beginning with her question:
"Aren't you afraid you're going to be tired for the next 18 years?"
"No, I'm positive about it."
"How does that make you feel?"
"Tired."

No comments:

Post a Comment