Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Week 12 Day 2: Stinky poodle, crying baby

Gavin is crying. And crying. And crying. It's late. He went to bed very easily tonight. He should still be asleep. We want him to be asleep. He wants very desperately to be asleep. And yet despite everyone wanting the same thing here, sleeping is not coming easily to Bear right now.

I'm fairly certain I was the one who woke him up. Though in my defense, Stacy made me. She insisted I wash the dog tonight even though I was worried that such an action, with the bathroom being adjacent to Gavin's room and all, might wake the baby. But Stacy's mom is coming tomorrow and she didn't want Henri to be, well, stinky. And he was. He had a very distinctive poodle aroma with top notes of "I have rasty breath and I lick myself" and low notes of earthiness (i.e. dirt) and the Fritos smell of dog feet. So a bath was definitely in order. And Poodle is clean now. But Bear is awake. Stacy has been trying to soothe him for some time now. I'm on deck.

You'd think Gavin would be all worn out since we shopped 'til we dropped today. Okay, a slight exaggeration. But we did go to two stores today. And I pushed him past his point of tolerance, which was evident once we got home and I tried to feed him lunch. Poor dude. He was so tired he was trying to suck his thumb while I was trying to spoon oatmeal into his mouth. I managed to get some oatmeal and some green beans in him before he had a melt down and I rushed him off for his nap. He didn't wake up from his morning nap until a quarter after eleven, which is really late for him, but apparently that does not mean that his next nap can be pushed back. My mistake.

In any case, our first stop today was Bed Bath and Beyond because they had good prices on baby proofing stuff on their website and I had a coupon. Turns out, they don't actually sell baby proofing stuff in the store, only online. I did, however, find throw pillows for the couch on clearance, however, and with my coupon I got three pillows for $10. They are, incidentally, Roxy brand pillows, and were originally $35 each. I never in a million years would pay that much for a pillow. That is insane. Gavin and I are bargain shoppers. I really like shopping with him. He is so good at the store. He is getting more and more grabby, but I usually give him something he can hold onto while we shop. After Bed Bath and Beyond we went to TJ Maxx because I was looking for turquoise or lime green wash cloths since our white ones have seen better days. I found some but after I got home I realized they don't match at all. Alas. But mostly I just bought stuff for Gavin anyway. And a bread knife, which Gavin desperately wanted to hold, and though it was sealed in a hard plastic package, I thought it would be a bad precedent to set. Not only that, but I can only imagine how it would look to be strolling around the store with my baby sucking on a serrated blade. I'd probably get the same looks that Stacy got when she was 8 months pregnant in the liquor store buying triple sec. It was for a recipe, but still.

This afternoon after his nap Gavin met us as a stand-up baby for the first time. I don't mean that he was cracking jokes (though he does have a great sense of humor. He laughs a lot and thinks Stacy and I are hilarious. We are his clowns), but that he was standing up in his crib waiting for us. He has never done that before. Thankfully we lowered his crib mattress a long time ago and he has the crib tent which makes his a little more secure. Needless to say it was adorable and he looked very proud of himself.

As I mentioned, Stacy's mom is coming today. She lives in Florida and hasn't seen Gavin since Christmas. Needless to say, she is very excited about this. I am less excited, only because she is staying at our (very small) house (usually she would stay with David, Stacy's brother, but he is in the process of moving right now). And she is staying for two weeks. And I am home full time. Marilyn and I have a strained history to say the least. But we're on good terms now and she is crazy about Gavin so we have very common ground there.

No comments:

Post a Comment