Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Week 10 Day 3: Deafened by love

I took Gavin on a shopping spree at Big Lots today. Because I know how to show a guy a classy time. I actually really like Big Lots. I have ever since I was a teenager. For one thing, if, say, a new candy bar comes out that doesn't stay in the stores for long, you know you can find a case of them at Big Lots if you became addicted to it and need to stock up. But we didn't go to Big Lots for the candy. We went for the toys. I wasn't sure what they'd have there but I figured it was a worth a look. Even if they didn't have anything it would still get Gavin and me out of the house and so would not be a total bust. But they did, in fact, have some good toys there. A lot of Fisher Price stuff, like the Stack and Surprise Blocks he likes. I actually think they're kind of dumb and cheaply made, and it's not something I ever would have initially bought him, but a friend gave him some as a gift and so here we are. So I got him a little dump truck and some other blocks and stacking toys. When we're at the community center play room he seems to really like the trucks. And balls. But we don't have any balls yet. I'm working on that (by which I mean I am looking for some kind of ball to get for Gavin not getting a sex change operation or something).

Gavin slept nearly two full hours during his second nap today. I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked because I was on the phone with the unemployment office (long story). I guess they figure that you're unemployed so you don't have anything better to do with your time than stay on hold. I did get the kitchen cleaned up, however, which was a big accomplishment since it had reached crisis level. If only I would have been able to vacuum. Alas. Our floors are in crisis, too.

The weather has been really amazing these past few days. I think it's supposed to be nice tomorrow, too. We should go for a long walk. I need the exercise. I only wish Amanda was here to go with us...

I read a poem tonight by Vera Pavlova that reminded me of Stacy. It begins, "Only she who has breast-fed / knows how beautiful the ear is." Stacy is quite the admirer of Gavin's ears. I bet she could pick them out of a line up. She is, after all, quite familiar with them. It's a familiarity unmatched by me. I love his ears, of course, just as I love all of him. But I have not spent the time contemplating them like Stacy has. For a while after he was born Stacy would often say how Gavin's ears were her favorite part of him. I think she even had one she liked best, though I can't recall. One of them forms a G, she pointed out. They do not match exactly. I'll tell you one thing, his ears are very soft. It is nearly impossible to hold him and not brush my lips against them over and over. Gavin just might be the most-kissed Bear in the world. He gets many kisses on or around his ears. His neck, for example. I admit that I occasionally worry that I'm wrecking his hearing with all of these kiss sounds resounding in his little ear drums. I hope not. Though, obviously, there are worse ways to go deaf.

1 comment: