Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Week 9 Day 4: Mama's hung

I spent a good bulk of today on auto-pilot, functioning on less than five hours of sleep. I was out last night at the kickoff of Blowout, covering it with my sister for the Metro Times. Amanda went, too, and needless to say this morning's 6 a.m. wake-up-call was very hard on us. Maybe harder on her since she'd been drinking and since she slept on a couch and the person waking her up is not her son (though she does say they are in love, so...). Gavin took it upon himself to wake up extra early today. Ten to six, even. As a rule, unless he's screaming or there's something discernibly wrong, we do not get him before six. It's step one in teaching in Common Human Decency. Often when he wakes up too early he'll call out a little bit and then fall back asleep. Thank god.

Amanda is spending the night in Ann Arbor tonight so Gavin and I won't see her again until tomorrow around noon. It's just not the same without her here and she's been here less than 3 days.

I got an email from my best friend in California today requesting help choosing and Easter basket for her son. She sent me screen shots of several different options. She's really put a lot of thought and effort into this and I have to admit it isn't something I have thought about at all. I don't even know what day Easter falls on this year. I know that one year it was on my birthday. Speaking of which, I just realized that my birthday is in a little more than a month. Woah). We just don't really celebrate it. We're not Christian and we're not into the whole secular Easter thing, either. Stacy does like to color eggs, though. Or at least I remember her wanting to one year. I don't know that we ever have though. In any case, even if we were all about Easter, Gavin is only 8 months old. He doesn't know what the hell Easter is. I don't think he'll feel cheated. But only time will tell. Years from now that could be the one thing he never forgives us for.

Today was a little rocky nap wise and feeding wise. His two naps were over and hour each, but neither one was solid. Some waking and fussing thrown in a few times. When I tried to feed him after his second nap he went bezerk. The only thing he would eat is his carrot goo. I tried to feed him applesauce after the carrots and you would have thought I was trying to make him eat jalapeƱos by the way he screamed and carried on. I think part of it was that he was tired. I fed him more carrots and then we paced around the house a lot. He wasn't happy in his pen, he wasn't happy in his exersaucer, he wasn't happy on our bed playing with his balloon, he wasn't happy playing in his crib. There really was no pleasing him. We both desperately wanted Stacy to come home.

The thing I like least about Gavin is his propensity for whiplashing his head from side to side while I'm holding him, often resulting in clunking his head against mine. Well today he took it to new levels, slamming his head into my nose. I literally saw stars. It hurt so bad at first I thought it might be broken. But there was no blood and as the stars dissipated the pain did, too. But I still have a hell of a headache. I swear Gavin's skull is made of cement.

No comments:

Post a Comment