Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Week 10 Day 5: No more loafing

I'm tired and I would go to bed, but I've got a lentil loaf in the oven. That I made by myself. This lentil loaf, in fact, in case you want to play along at home, though I used egg replacer to make it vegan. I'm America's #1 Housewife now. Okay, so that's a stretch. Especially since I don't even know if this lentil loaf will be at all edible. When I asked Stacy, "What if it's disgusting?" She said, "Then I'll eat it." Me: "What if it's too disgusting even for you?" Stacy: "Then we'll throw it away." Ideally it will not be terrible and we will both find it undisgusting and perhaps even good. I'm trying to do more cooking since I do have a kid and all now and God knows I don't want him to eat like me. So I need to stop eating like me, too.

Stacy and Gavin are both asleep. Gavin has been asleep since 6:00. His nap schedule was messed up all over town today. Poor dude. I had places to be and had to drag him around. None of his naps were very good today. We're hoping that Daylight Savings Time helps hammer out his nap schedule a little bit. We'd much prefer a 7 to 7 rather than a 6 to 6 schedule.

Since I call Gavin "Bear" I was pointed to the Lily the Black Bear Den Cam today (at least I think that's why I got this particular recommendation). It is really fascinating. She has a cub named Hope. Mostly I have just seen her back as she sleeps curled (I presume) around Hope. Sometimes her back moves like she's shifting position. Also I've heard lots of grunting sounds. She's got plenty of woodsy detritus in her fur. Come to think of it, I think Lily and I have a lot in common. While the live cam is interesting, I find it more gratifying to watch the archived daily "greatest hits" videos. Not only is there cute bear-nerd commentary that helps you know what you're looking at, but you don't have to wait for hours to see a bear face. When Stacy saw the computer screen with the Den Cam up she said, "What's that?" And I said, "It's Lily." We have friends who have a baby daughter named Lucy, which is what Stacy thought I'd said. She stood there for a moment trying to figure out how this undulating hairy back was a little baby girl. In any case, Lily's Den Cam makes me think of a book I gave Gavin and Stacy for Valentine's Day called In My Den. Of course, the bear in the book is Gavin, not Lily.

Speaking of Gavin (what is this, my lentils and bear blog?), he for the most part crawled today. I say "for the most part" not to diminish his genius or grace, but because Stacy and I are kind of split on whether or not it was actually "crawling" rather than a kind of scooting/creeping. I vote for creeping, while Stacy is giving him full crawl credit. Regardless, he is propelling himself forward. Just this evening we saw three different variations of it, all while using Stacy's watch as bait. We'd put her watch across the blanket (approximately one Gavin-length away) and he'd scramble himself toward it. He used the head-as-fulcrum method again, though this is now backed up with one-back-leg action. He also pulled himself forward using his arms. And last but not least is the half-roll half-lunge, which gets high marks for forward motion, but not so much for aim. Stacy predicts he will be an early walker. I believe she was. But he is very motivated. He loves to be standing. He'd probably sleep standing up if he could. But he doesn't have the balance yet, that's for sure. Still, he's building his little muscles.

So, Stacy and I have plans for this weekend: baby-proofing the house.

My lentil loaf is done. I just ate a little of it. Verdict? I can eat this. Will I like eating this? Maybe. Too soon to tell. It's surprisingly spicy. Probably I'll get heartburn. Maybe not the best bed time snack. I'm curious to see what Stacy thinks of it. Maybe Laura and Jamie will come over and try some. And if all else fails, maybe Henri and Jasper will like it. Actually they most likely would. But they will not be eating it even if it does end up being too disgusting even for Stacy. Which looks unlikely seeing as I'm eating it. Though if I like it there is a chance she won't. We have wildly different tastes in food. I hope that Gavin's palate is more like hers since she will eat just about anything and I am very, very picky to the point of exasperation on the part of everyone who has ever eaten with me. I don't want Gavin to go through life that way.

UPDATE: The lentil loaf was a hit with Stacy, Jamie, and Laura. I also like it. Because you were dying to know.

2 comments: