Trying to figure this whole parenting thing out.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Week 10 Day 2: All shook up

Amanda left today to go back to Florida. Alas, Gavin and I will have to go it alone tomorrow. I mean, we can make it and all, it's just sad that Amanda won't be there, too.

Gavin's nap schedule was all messed up today. He ended up taking three naps instead of two. None of them were great. Certainly not those two hour marathons that have happened before and are why I get my hopes up every time. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't love to spend time with my son, it's just he's so much more fun to hang out with when he's had himself some good sleep.

After Amanda left Gavin, Henri, and I went for a walk. It was another beautiful day here. Gavin and I wore sweatshirts, no coats. And I even got too hot for my sweatshirt but did not take it off because I was only wearing a tank-top underneath (well, plus a bra. I have some dignity) and that just wasn't going to happen.

I finally watched last week's episode of The Office where Pam and Jim have their baby. I have to say that it further solidified how lucky Stacy, Gavin and I were to have our own room at the hospital. I can't imagine having to share one of those pull the curtain down the center rooms with another mom and baby. That being said, I think the whole Pam breast feeding the wrong baby thing was a little much. At Beaumont where Gavin was delivered (and where I was also delivered 31 years before him), the babies have little lo-jack sensors on them and the mamas wear a corresponding sensor that chimes when matched with the right baby. Gavin's fell off at one point which got the nurse all worried when she brought him back after taking him to the nursery. But we were never in doubt that it was still the same Gavin all along. I do wish, though, that, like Pam and Jim, someone had come over and torn out our old kitchen cupboards and installed new ones while we were in the hospital. Alas, we do not have friends like Dwight.

Gavin is hooting and hollering right now. It's a little after 10 p.m. I am so fucking tired that just keeping my eyes open to type this is a challenge. We're waiting him out to see if he goes back to sleep on his own, but I'm not holding my breath. I think he's going to need an intervention.

(Later) That was rough going. I am not sure what the little dude's problem is but he was very, very unhappy. I thought maybe he was cold because he wasn't, in my opinion, dressed warmly enough. Do I have to say that Stacy got him ready for bed? I do not have to say this. So that made me plenty annoyed with her. But I was also just frustrated with the situation. All I wanted was Stacy to somehow fix it. And yet, I also felt like she wasn't doing it right when he kept crying. So needless to say I was unhappy. I am not being very coherent here. Let's just say, there are times when -- and I don't think I'm the only parent who does this -- you're tired and crabby and just don't want to deal with your kid(s) any more. What you want is for your co-parent to wave a magic wand and make everyone happy and when she can't do that it feels like a mixture of pain in the ass, incompetence, and betrayal. And it really says more about me than it does about her.

In any case. The best part of the day -- and the part that is a clear indicator to me that things really are quite wonderful by and large, nights like this aside -- was watching Stacy and Gavin dance to "All Shook Up" by Elvis. Stacy had choreographed a few little moves for Gavin and it was pretty much the cutest part ever. She was holding him and they were kind of bopping back and forth and after the "I need love" line she'd freeze and then during "I'm all shook up" she and Gavin would shake back and forth while Stacy bent her knees to get them closer to the ground. I am doing a terrible job explaining it, but it was adorable. Gavin loved it. The pause before the shaking was awesome. You could see him tense in anticipation and then when they shook he smiled and laughed. He is dreamy. Gavin and Stacy are the best dancers ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment